Hardware test in 1.5 reports temperature rise of 9 or 10 C.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Aug 10 17:21:17 EDT 2020

Thanks, that's interesting.  This serial number was produced in late
January 2011, about 9.5 years ago.  I would have expected it to fail
much sooner.  It has lasted well.

The temperature rise test was only characterised for manufacturing and
some accelerated aging tests.  The test has no statistical meaning now.
The test should be done at an ambient temperature of 21°C to avoid
false positives.

In my experience the most likely causes of the test failure are;

- high ambient temperature due to season,

- high internal temperature due to repeated testing,

- missing or loose screws holding down the heat spreader,

- dents in heat spreader due to impact,

- age hardening of the silicone plastic thermal pad between the heat
  spreader and the CPU.

I suggest ignoring the problem for now, as servicing may cause damage
beyond economic repair.  In particular for the CPU interposer board
solder balls, which are under significant stress.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 06:07:02AM -0700, peter at easthope.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> P.s. This is SKU 133, D5.
> Present in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manufacturing_data .
>
> The 1.5 D5 here is S/N SHC10400772  OpenFirmware Q3C17  EC Firmware Ver:2.2.10.
>
> In the hardware test, a temperature rise of 9-10 C is reported.
>
> I found a thread in the mailing list at 2011-2012.  Appears hardware
> revision might have continued then.  I haven't found a description of
> a repair.
>
> I have no trouble dismantling the machine and performing a small
> modification or repair.  Before diving in, I am interested in advice
> and lore.
>
> Aside from this thermal problem, the machine appears to run as well as
> when it left the factory.
>
> Thanks!                      ... Peter E.
>
> --
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon
> Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/