Hardware test in 1.5 reports temperature rise of 9 or 10 C.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Aug 10 19:16:19 EDT 2020

From:	James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
Date:	Tue, 11 Aug 2020 07:21:17 +1000
> January 2011, about 9.5 years ago.  I would have expected it to fail
> much sooner.  It has lasted well.

Years ago, changed the internal SDHC to 8 GB.  About a year ago,
replaced the battery pack with a new one sent from Australia by Terry
Gillett; thx Terry.  Otherwise all original.  Good reliable little machine;
on a par with the VW Beetle.

> The test should be done at an ambient temperature of 21°C to avoid
> false positives.

The test was done in the evening, temperature 20-25 C.  Will try
again and check the thermometer.

> - missing or loose screws holding down the heat spreader,
>
> - dents in heat spreader due to impact,

Unlikely in this machine.

> - age hardening of the silicone plastic thermal pad between the heat
>   spreader and the CPU.

The most likely factor here.

> I suggest ignoring the problem for now, as servicing may cause damage
> beyond economic repair.  In particular for the CPU interposer board
> solder balls, which are under significant stress.

Will do.  I'm contemplating to find a 1.75 on eBay.

Possibly a new infinity.  Not clear whether the proposed modularity of the
Infinity was implemented in production.  Also not clear whether the case
is elastic polymer or hard polymer.

Thx,                                    ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon