Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Feb 12 23:00:43 EST 2017

Yes, the XO-1 JFFS2 NAND filesystem may report less space after the
laptop has been used for a bit.  Fresh install gets the best space.

(Because JFFS2 compresses data when writing, it cannot know how much
free space is available, as because it depends on how compressible the
data is.  So JFFS2 provides an estimate, and the estimate is
pessimistic, and yum takes it at face value.)

Yes, one XO-1 may show different space to another XO-1 freshly
installed.

(Because NAND may have bad blocks that are skipped by JFFS during
reflashing.  You will have noticed these as differently coloured.
Good chance of more bad blocks as the laptops age.)

Yes, removing files apart from Activities and Library won't fix space.

(Because olpc-update keeps a hard link mirror of the filesystem in
/versions, and your changes to removing files won't remove them from
the copy.)

Yes, customising the operating system is really time consuming; we
have instead provided the tools for remastering the operating system,
and these tools are easy to use.  Adding .xo and doing yum installs
are supported.  See OS_Builder on the Wiki.

If you lack resources to do this, then I can assist to a limited
extent, as I did for Haiti in January last year.  Additional benefit
of using me is that the build may be signed, which installs using the
four game key method without having to create deployment keys.

Workaround for yum lack of space is to use .rpm files directly.  Also
much faster.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/