[support-gang] [Server-devel] 1TB drive of quality open content on XO/XS--won't boot

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Mon May 13 09:53:39 EDT 2013

NTFS is supported in OLPC builds, just not by the OS Kernel itself.

The ntfs-3g "filesystem in userspace" package can be used to mount NTFS
drives.  So you should be able to use a command like "mount -t ntfs-3g
/dev/ntfs_partition /mnt/mountpoint" if Sugar or GNOME do not automatically
mount the filesystem for you.

In general many Linux distributions seem to currently consider using
ntfs-3g a better approach than using the kernel driver.  The in-kernel
driver still may not have full NTFS write support, while ntfs-3g does.