USB Network Adapter recommendations

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Mon May 13 00:28:27 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> Can you recommend a particular USB network adapter for long term reliability ?
>
> I have been using the Zoltan USB adapters that Michail had manufactured
> for use with the XO, with ok performance.   (I have been told that under
> heavy load they don't work as well.)   After only a year of continuous use, I just
> had one stop working: transmissions (receptions ?) saw increasing errors but
> kept operating (just dropping seriously impacting link performance).  Occasionally,
> however, it would overcurrent the XO USB port, giving a clue as to the defective component.

I have also seen this behaviour on one of my Zoltan USB adapters.  The
one that failed was painted green on the inside of the plastic, which
makes it an older one I believe.

I have ordered a USB network adapter from Pluggable and am using that
on my dev machine as it is 10/100/1000.  It runs an Asix chipset but I
can't really comment on long term reliability yet.  The performance is
quite good.

Jon