[support-gang] Customization Sticks fails on 13.1.0 & 12.1.0 for XO-1

Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Mar 12 15:33:24 EDT 2013

On 3/12/2013 3:44 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 12 March 2013 01:26, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org
> <mailto:dsd at laptop.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Richard A. Smith
>     <richard at laptop.org <mailto:richard at laptop.org>> wrote:
>     > Perhaps I don't understand but I don't see how OOB can work for
>     a setup like
>     > Adam is describing in Haiti where they have laptops in the mix
>     that are
>     > secure.  Unless they first un-secure every laptop a custom OS
>     build wth OOB
>     > would have to be signed by OLPC or Reuben would have to give
>     them a Haiti
>     > key thats installed via keyjector.
>
>     This is not a new situation for us, and the approach we have taken in
>     the past is to help such deployments un-secure all of their laptops,
>     or provide a keyjector to insert custom keys, upon their request.
>

> I find it worrisome that such a useful tool (customisation stick) is
> no longer being maintained. We've been able to achieve some very
> useful things with it for our schools, expanding its capability to
> perform tasks like bulk installing software and activities, and
> quickly deploying settings across many XOs.
>
> This is not an either/or question. Creating a custom build per
> classroom is not practical, and installing such a build is
> destructive. We see the customisation stick as an extremely useful
> complement to OOB, not a replacement.
>
> If there's no interest at OLPCA to maintain it, what we to continue it?

Great & tough question!

For now the small deployments I'm working with in Haiti here are taking
a step back to Release 11.3.1, to protect themselves on a number of fronts.

We're hopeful (as is Gonzalo) that Releases 12.x, 13.x,
Dextrose-or-similar will be as fast & reliable as 11.3.1 in future..and
run WikipediaFR perhaps most important ;)

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !