[support-gang] Customization Sticks fails on 13.1.0 & 12.1.0 for XO-1

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Tue Mar 12 03:44:53 EDT 2013

On 12 March 2013 01:26, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org>
> wrote:
> > Perhaps I don't understand but I don't see how OOB can work for a setup
> like
> > Adam is describing in Haiti where they have laptops in the mix that are
> > secure.  Unless they first un-secure every laptop a custom OS build wth
> OOB
> > would have to be signed by OLPC or Reuben would have to give them a Haiti
> > key thats installed via keyjector.
>
> This is not a new situation for us, and the approach we have taken in
> the past is to help such deployments un-secure all of their laptops,
> or provide a keyjector to insert custom keys, upon their request.

I find it worrisome that such a useful tool (customisation stick) is no
longer being maintained. We've been able to achieve some very useful things
with it for our schools, expanding its capability to perform tasks like
bulk installing software and activities, and quickly deploying settings
across many XOs.

This is not an either/or question. Creating a custom build per classroom is
not practical, and installing such a build is destructive. We see the
customisation stick as an extremely useful complement to OOB, not a
replacement.

If there's no interest at OLPCA to maintain it, what we to continue it?

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia