Re: [OLPC New Zealand] Māori Macrons & olpc keyboard

Jerry Vonau jerry at
Fri Jul 5 13:37:07 EDT 2013

On 5 July 2013 07:01, Tom Parker <tom at> wrote:

> On 01/07/13 19:53, James Cameron wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 07:35:03PM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
>>> xkbcomp $DISPLAY orig.xkb
>>> patch -p0 <maori.patch
>>> sudo cp orig.xkb /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/mi
>>> sudo vi /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
>>> Is Jerry's xs.custom
>>> suitable for customizing an XO?
>> Yes.  It would apply the changes you describe reasonably easily.
> Indeed it does work, although I had to add support for the XO-4 HS Touch
> and XO-4 Touch, I've sent you a patch.

> I now have a USB that re-flashes if you hold down the game keys, reboots,
> sets the timezone, the language and the keyboard and then prompts the user
> to press enter to shut down. If you don't hold down the game keys it just
> does the customization which can be done more than once without damage.
Care to share the forth scripting? Remember to have the AC plugged in for
the first boot, there maybe a firmware update in the image. I've taken a
slightly path using a menu for different operations and install new
firmware if present before installing the image.

> The only wrinkle is that most of the time I have to press enter twice to
> get it to quit at the end which is hardly worth complaining about but had
> me stumped for a minute or two the first time.
There is a "press enter to shutdown" routine build into xo-custom are you
scripting the reboot question also?

> Also I had trouble finding the xo-custom thing, so for the record, it's an
> optional configuration of Tiny Core Linux described at
>**Tiny_Core_Linux<>You will have to clone the git repo and build it from scratch to get the
> xo-custom behavior.
I'm going to place the Tiny Core files to be available for download so all
you have to add is your own scripting. Do you mind sharing your scripts? I
plan on using some examples in creating some better documentation for a

Thanks for testing,