[OLPC New Zealand] Māori Macrons & olpc keyboard

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Fri Jul 5 08:01:38 EDT 2013

On 01/07/13 19:53, James Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 07:35:03PM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
>> xkbcomp $DISPLAY orig.xkb
>> patch -p0 <maori.patch
>> sudo cp orig.xkb /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/mi
>> sudo vi /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
>>
>> Is Jerry's xs.custom
>> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2013-June/006510.html
>> suitable for customizing an XO?
>
> Yes.  It would apply the changes you describe reasonably easily.

Indeed it does work, although I had to add support for the XO-4 HS Touch
and XO-4 Touch, I've sent you a patch.

I now have a USB that re-flashes if you hold down the game keys,
reboots, sets the timezone, the language and the keyboard and then
prompts the user to press enter to shut down. If you don't hold down the
game keys it just does the customization which can be done more than
once without damage.

The only wrinkle is that most of the time I have to press enter twice to
get it to quit at the end which is hardly worth complaining about but
had me stumped for a minute or two the first time.

Also I had trouble finding the xo-custom thing, so for the record, it's
an optional configuration of Tiny Core Linux described at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tiny_Core_Linux You will have to clone the git
repo and build it from scratch to get the xo-custom behavior.