Cameras not working on XO-1s

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Jan 30 20:39:41 EST 2013

On Jan 30, 2013, at 3:02 PM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> another issue we encountered during today's workshop session was that on 3~4 XO-1s the camera didn't work (all machines are running 12.1.0 with the associated firmware).
>
> The effect in Record is always the same: a grey still image. However when running the hardware self-test 2 of the machines passed the test even though the camera output on the display was total noise. With the other machine or two the self-test failed.
>
> Since I've never seen issues with the camera before I was wondering whether there was anything we could try beyond verifying that the camera connector is in place (as described at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_AV#Errors_communicating_with_the_camera)?
>
> Thanks,
> Christoph

Oh, dear.   You might have run into a failure of the camera flat cable.   We changed the mainframe
in 2010 (IIRC) to fix this, and there is a simple preventative measure to prevent it from happening
on older machines (adding two pieces of cellulose tape to the right place on the motherboard.)
Details and the fix are at http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10148

As someone already pointed out, please try replacing the camera assembly --- it is the quick
way to see if this is the camera or the motherboard.

Regards,
wad