Policy for non-responsive maintainers

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:40:14 EST 2013

On 10 Jan 2013, at 19:27, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Anish Mangal <anish at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Let's get a policy defined and a means of execution. (On the ASLO
>>> front, there are many of us who can help with the transfer of
>>> management. Gitorious is another story...
>>>
>>> -walter

>> of an inactive activity?
>> activity team coordinators.
>> taking over an unmaintained activity. maybe ask them for permission first?
>>
>> Unless the original maintainer wants out, I'd call it co-maintainership
>> rather than takeover-of-maintainership.
>>
>> I guess one version could be:
>> * Request the original maintainer for co-maintainership
>>
>> * Wait for X amount of time
>>
>> * If he responds, great! - follow that
>> ** If you don't agree with his response, you are free to branch off your
>> own spin of the activity
>>
>> * If he doesn't respond, add the Requester as a co-maintainer.
>> ** ASLO: add as author
>> ** GIT: tag the current snapshot of the code (maybe clone or create a
>> branch), and give commit access on mainline.
>
> That is pretty much what we had been discussing. The sticky bit is
> that AFAIK, there is no easy way to transfer (or unilaterally add)
> ownership to mainline on g.sl.o other than by running some scripts on
> the server.

Ah yes, I ran into this the other day... I'm in the process of making lionaneesh (Aneesh Dogra) a co-maintainer for Calculate (after all his great patching efforts). ALSO was a quick and easy addition (lionaneesh you have developer access to Calculate now if you want to make edits). Git.sl.org was not so fun... Apart from rather too well hidden UI for adding collaborators, I've only just realised that I only picked up commit rights from Reinier Heeres (Calculates original author) so don't have admin ability to give lionaneesh commit access.

I've pinged Reinier off-list in the hopes that he'll either grant me admin permissions, or add lionaneesh himself, but it's been a while since I last worked with him.

Regards,
--Gary