Policy for non-responsive maintainers

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 10 14:38:28 EST 2013

Sorry for screwing up the formatting. Thunderbird can be quirky sometimes.

On Thursday 10 January 2013 02:27 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> of an inactive activity?
> activity team coordinators.
> taking over an unmaintained activity. maybe ask them for permission first?
> Unless the original maintainer wants out, I'd call it co-maintainership
> rather than takeover-of-maintainership.
> I guess one version could be:
> * Request the original maintainer for co-maintainership
> * Wait for X amount of time
> * If he responds, great! - follow that
> ** If you don't agree with his response, you are free to branch off your
> own spin of the activity
> * If he doesn't respond, add the Requester as a co-maintainer.
> ** ASLO: add as author
> ** GIT: tag the current snapshot of the code (maybe clone or create a
> branch), and give commit access on mainline.
>> That is pretty much what we had been discussing. The sticky bit is
>> that AFAIK, there is no easy way to transfer (or unilaterally add)
>> ownership to mainline on g.sl.o other than by running some scripts on
>> the server.

Perhaps, we need to tag activities as unmaintained (like we do for
development versions), and link to the new (branched off clone), from
the activity's webpage.

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but have a commitment from the new
co-maintainer and some sort of roadmap.