Policy for non-responsive maintainers

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 10 14:38:28 EST 2013

Sorry for screwing up the formatting. Thunderbird can be quirky sometimes.

On Thursday 10 January 2013 02:27 PM, Walter Bender wrote:

> of an inactive activity?
> activity team coordinators.
> taking over an unmaintained activity. maybe ask them for permission first?
>
> Unless the original maintainer wants out, I'd call it co-maintainership
> rather than takeover-of-maintainership.
>
> I guess one version could be:
> * Request the original maintainer for co-maintainership
>
> * Wait for X amount of time
>
> * If he responds, great! - follow that
> ** If you don't agree with his response, you are free to branch off your
> own spin of the activity
>
> * If he doesn't respond, add the Requester as a co-maintainer.
> ** ASLO: add as author
> ** GIT: tag the current snapshot of the code (maybe clone or create a
> branch), and give commit access on mainline.
>
>> That is pretty much what we had been discussing. The sticky bit is
>> that AFAIK, there is no easy way to transfer (or unilaterally add)
>> ownership to mainline on g.sl.o other than by running some scripts on
>> the server.

For ASLO.
Perhaps, we need to tag activities as unmaintained (like we do for
development versions), and link to the new (branched off clone), from
the activity's webpage.

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but have a commitment from the new
co-maintainer and some sort of roadmap.

>> I'm in favor of a short window, a few weeks. Others argue for a longer
>> window. Re git, it is not a big deal, because of the ability to clone.
>> Bit more of an issue for ASLO, since those are the bits consumed by
>> our user community.

+1