Boot os 13.2.0 from SD card (XO-1, XO-1.5)

Chris Marshall devel.chm.01 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 15:52:44 EDT 2013

Hi-

I'm trying to make an OS install SD card
for 13.2.0 for an XO-1.5 and XO-1 in order
to speed things up and to allow more
memory for yum installs.

Unfortunately, things seem to have changed
a lot since the last time I went through this
process circa the os 8.2 release.

I've been trying to follow the directions from
the OLPC Wiki on the following pages:

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_USB_disks
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Custom_bootloader

but they are mostly out of date enough so that
I can't connect the dots to get a working version
by myself.  In fact, if I have an ext2/ext3/ext4
file system on the SD card, the OFW doesn't
even see the card (it does if the fs is FAT32).

Are there any updated/consolidated instructions
for an SD card boot creation (as used to be
available in the standard OS builds)?

Thanks in advance,
Chris