Boot os 13.2.0 from SD card (XO-1, XO-1.5)

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 22 16:54:58 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 19:52 +0000, Chris Marshall wrote:
> Hi-

Hi Chris,

> I'm trying to make an OS install SD card
> for 13.2.0 for an XO-1.5 and XO-1 in order
> to speed things up and to allow more
> memory for yum installs.

Just to be clear here, you what to run the os from the external SDcard
slot? or install from the SDcard slot to the internal storage? Have you
looked at olpc-os-builder to create an image with your rpms
pre-installed?

> Unfortunately, things seem to have changed
> a lot since the last time I went through this
> process circa the os 8.2 release.
>
> I've been trying to follow the directions from
> the OLPC Wiki on the following pages:
>
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_USB_disks
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Custom_bootloader
>
> but they are mostly out of date enough so that
> I can't connect the dots to get a working version
> by myself.  In fact, if I have an ext2/ext3/ext4
> file system on the SD card, the OFW doesn't
> even see the card (it does if the fs is FAT32).
>
> Are there any updated/consolidated instructions
> for an SD card boot creation (as used to be
> available in the standard OS builds)?

To install to an external SDcard for 1.5, 1.75, 4's you would need to
have your *.zd file on a usb flashdrive inserted into the XO, access
OFW's OK prompt then type:

devalias fsdisk ext:0 <enter>
fs-update u:\<image>.zd <enter>

<enter> is the enter key
replace <image> with the name of the image you want to install.
Please remember that *1.zd is for XO-1.5's, *2.zd is for XO-1.75's,
*4.zd is for XO-4's.

Jerry