3G USB Dongle usage

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Oct 9 19:29:47 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 04:19:18AM +0530, RJV wrote:
> James wrote:
> > This means the 3G USB wireless modem has not been switched out of
> > USB storage mode into modem mode.
>
> Cool! Makes sense now.
>
> > the USB mode switch utility might be used.
>
> How?

I don't know yet, because I'm waiting to see your response to Jerry
where he said "Can you plug in your 3G dongle, copy /var/log/messages
to a usbkey and post that please, need to see if your card is detected
correctly."

> Please remember I am totally new to how Sugar and GNome work
> together. I will catch up but right now, what I need to know is
>
> > echo '0x16d8 0x6280' > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
>
> is it in the Sugar Terminal activity or in GNome ?

Let me de-emphasise this.

This was just an example for illustration, I don't know yet if this
will work for you, as I'm waiting to see your response to Jerry.

Taking your question as general, if you were testing this method, it
would be better to do it in the Sugar Terminal activity than in the
GNOME Terminal application, because you would next use the Sugar Frame
to check the result.  Having to switch from GNOME to Sugar would be
time consuming.

However, system commands entered into a shell would be effective from
either GNOME Terminal application or the Sugar Terminal activity, or
from other methods such as the text virtual console or an SSH session.

How Sugar and GNOME work together: Sugar and GNOME are desktop
environments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment and both
are built on top of Linux operating system and kernel.  GNOME also
provides a middle level that Sugar uses.  On the OLPC XO, you can
switch between GNOME and Sugar desktop environments.

> > add the product and vendor identifiers to the new_id sysfs file
> > for the device driver
>
> Is the sysfs file the same as sysconfig file ?(in the attached file
> at the beginning of this mail thread)

No, it is not the same.

The sysfs is a tree of files beneath the /sys name, and is explained
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysfs

In this thread context, sysfs is a method of controlling device
drivers, in particular the device driver loaded when you connect the
3G USB modem.

On the other hand, the SysConfig file on the USB storage endpoint of
your 3G USB modem is a file provided by the manufacturer or wireless
service provider.  I can't tell you what it is for, sorry.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/