[Sugar-devel] OLPC OS on Zync Z930 Tablet

Johnson Chetty johnsonchetty at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 00:51:31 EST 2012

Hey,

Yes... we're working on getting Sugar on the tablet form factor.
We're looking at compiling Sugar for an armv7 chip based tablet. (Allwinner
A10 chip- armhf ). There are many cheap tablets flooding the market here in
India, so we thought it is a good idea to get Sugar on them.
Would be quite cost effective, (not in the long run though, none of them
are as sturdy as the XOs)
Getting the touch screen  and multi-touch capabilities in linux are
seemingly a problem here.
If anyone is working on the linux/environment configuration for the new
XOs, would love to get some technical guidance for this..

On 23 November 2012 02:41, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
> christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> a Google News Alert just pointed me to this thread over on the XDA
>> developer forums where someone working for an NGO in India is trying to
>> figure out whether it's possible to get Sugar running on a low-cost tablet:
>> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2005715
>>
>> Not sure whether anyone has ever tried something similar but given the
>> ever-improving ARM support of Fedora I thought someone here might be able
>> to help the guy out.
>>

> I can think of two ways this could possibly work. One is to "dual boot" so
> that the entire Fedora+Sugar stack lives on a storage medium and the tablet
> boots into it. The other is to reuse the Linux part of the Android stack,
> but to run a different upper stack like how Ubuntu on Android works (
> http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android). A similar approach is used with
> Debian on Android where the Debian system lives in a chroot.
> http://evilzone.org/android/debian-on-android/
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
>
> Cheers,