[Sugar-devel] OLPC OS on Zync Z930 Tablet

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 04:01:56 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Johnson Chetty <johnsonchetty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Yes... we're working on getting Sugar on the tablet form factor.
> We're looking at compiling Sugar for an armv7 chip based tablet. (Allwinner
> A10 chip- armhf ). There are many cheap tablets flooding the market here in
> India, so we thought it is a good idea to get Sugar on them.
> Would be quite cost effective, (not in the long run though, none of them are
> as sturdy as the XOs)
> Getting the touch screen  and multi-touch capabilities in linux are
> seemingly a problem here.
> If anyone is working on the linux/environment configuration for the new XOs,
> would love to get some technical guidance for this..

Sugar is already compiled and known working for ARMv7 hardfp via the
Fedora project and downstream OLPC. The Fedora stack would happily
work on this device and all we would need is a kernel, a Xorg driver
as possibly a touchscreen driver. If the tablet is based on the
AllWinner A1x CPUs I'm already working on getting Fedora support so it
shouldn't be hard to extend the support to the tablet.

All the userspace is already done as you can use the existing Fedora
ARMv7 hardfp userspace without any problems.

There's probably better places to discuss this as it's kind of
offtopic for this list. Archives and details to subscribe to the
Fedora ARM list are here [1]

Peter