gathering use cases

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Thu Nov 8 13:32:35 EST 2012

Hi, Sridhar

One of the important potential benefits from gathering use cases is to
clarify the roles of the Community XS project and XS-0.7.

 From my perspective, if you can afford to deploy a server with 2GB or
more main memory and 500GB or more hard drive capacity, XS-0.7 serves
well and easily supports adding or customizing services. The
configuration shown in SF costs less than $350 and draws 18w (based on
measurements taken by George Hunt). With a large hard drive, it is
perfectly to keep Moodle even if it is not used.

In my experience, the school server is installed in the school ready
with XS-07 installed along with the available content. Barring hardware
failure, the only interaction at the school is to turn the server on at
the start of day and turn it off at the end. With modern computers, both
functions require only a push on the power button.

Community XS serves a valuable role where only XOs are available or
where power constraints are critical. It may also have a role in
supporting special network requirements.

Tony