gathering use cases

Jerry Vonau jvonau at
Thu Nov 8 17:01:27 EST 2012

Hi Tony and all,

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 13:32 -0500, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Hi, Sridhar
> One of the important potential benefits from gathering use cases is to
> clarify the roles of the Community XS project and XS-0.7.

Why is that an issue at at all? The "Community XS" (think XS-0.8 here)
is going to address the current shortcomings of XS-0.7.

>  From my perspective, if you can afford to deploy a server with 2GB or
> more main memory and 500GB or more hard drive capacity, XS-0.7 serves
> well and easily supports adding or customizing services. The
> configuration shown in SF costs less than $350 and draws 18w (based on
> measurements taken by George Hunt). With a large hard drive, it is
> perfectly to keep Moodle even if it is not used.
> In my experience, the school server is installed in the school ready
> with XS-07 installed along with the available content. Barring hardware
> failure, the only interaction at the school is to turn the server on at
> the start of day and turn it off at the end. With modern computers, both
> functions require only a push on the power button.

I'm not thinking about an XO here at all but on a server that you
spec'd. Tell me how do you deploy the 0.7 version on a network where you
don't have control over the DNS and have everything work? I have an idea
on how to pull that off with avahi, I would like to hear about how you
would implement that situation.

> Community XS serves a valuable role where only XOs are available or
> where power constraints are critical. It may also have a role in
> supporting special network requirements.

Not to mention better hardware support for the latest hardware available
and ARM support by using Fedora. You can get on board with the future
and have a say in your pet interests but please don't get in the way of

The other XS-CE developer