Video chat activity (was: Re: C and Sugar/GTK)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:38:50 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Alex Waterman <imnotlistening at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>> Personally I believe the best way to move forward with a Voice/Video
>> Conference Activity is to look at empathy and associated projects. I
>> believe there was plans to produce a libempathy for reuse although I
>> don't know the status of that. By using empathy/cheese and other
>> components it would integrate with our current comms stack and allow
>> sharing of things like account data and contacts as well as being
>> transferable between gnome and sugar.
>

> I will take a look at the latest libempathy. I was looking at the dbus
> interface for interacting with sugar and it seems as though a video chat app
> could be written with telepathy as well. I will look at the previous
> projects sometime today and see what they do/use. I think if the previous
> projects are using telepathy, then its worth sticking with that, otherwise
> if they use libempathy, then I could update the code to use the latest
> empathy as a start.

Empathy uses telepathy and it would save you having to deal with the
upper levels like glueing telepathy, gstreamer, account/contacts
management and various inputs together. Basically libempathy sits on
top of all that so you could use the guts of empathy and just
implement the Sugar UX for it.

Peter