Debuginfo package for Python-2.7 on F14 mismatched or (l)user error?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:18:16 EDT 2012

Hi Fedorans,

we are facing a very strange Python segfault in an OLPC build, based
on F14, for XO-1.5 (I know, do you remember _that_ far ago?).

The state of the OS and disk is well known, but we cannot make it
happen at will. So I got my hands on a coredump, installed the exact
same OS (so exact matching disk state as the machine that segfaults,
same rpms, etc), and went for
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces#Obtaining_a_stack_trace_from_a_core_dump

I've yum-installed the matching -debuginfo packages for python, glibc
and glib (apparently the segfault is calling glib).

Running gdb over the core, it complains: "the .dynamic section for
"/usr/lib/python2.7 is not at the expected address", and suggests a
yum install (of /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/<identifier>) that fails.

Full error msg from gdb at http://fpaste.org/YqGv/

I can see that some packages have invalid debuginfo subpackages
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Debuginfo#Useless_or_incomplete_debuginfo_packages_due_to_packaging_issues)
, but given Python's importance to the Fedora stack, my bet is that
Python's debuginfo is fine, and there's a subtle user error in the
middle...

To be clear -- we don't suspect Python or the Fedora stack. But
something is rotten, and this segfault is the only clue we have.

This problem is fairly important for the OLPC team at this time, help
on this track appreciated.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions