XO-1 cpu temperature [Devel Digest, Vol 71, Issue 43]

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Jan 23 14:17:33 EST 2012

On 01/23/2012 01:56 PM, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>> Although in some cases you can increase the clock frequency a bit
>> and have it still function the system is designed to run at the
>> specified frequency. We didn't use parts that were rated for 1Ghz
>> and then dial it down. We used the highest speed parts that we
>> could get in our cost range and designed for that operating frequency.
>
> One data point:
>
> Ever since I learned that Mavrothal operated his XO-1s in overclock
> mode, I've been running all my XO-1s at 460 MHz. [ I run the "heavy CPU
> load" application 'Timidity' on my systems. That extra 30 MHz noticeably
> cuts down on the number of dropped notes. ]
>
> In three years of running some twenty XO-1s always at 460 MHz (many of
> those are powered-on 24/7), I have __NEVER__ had any one of them fail.

Sure. It will probably work fine in your limited environment but its not
guaranteed to do so.  Thats the difference.   The full range
specification for the XO is 0 to 50 degrees C.  Our timings are
guaranteed to work across that entire range.

Again there's no harm in increasing that frequency until you find where
it fails and corrupts your data.  You can't damage the hardware.

> p.s. I'm now having difficulty overclocking the XO-1 for 12.1.0, since
> those builds "hide" <the 'device' which contains> the script used by OFW
> to boot the XO-1 system.

The addition of 1.5 and 1.75 into the firmware build trees came with a
fair amount of restructuring and refactoring out common things for all
XO generations and the arch specific items.  I can assure you it was not
"hidden" intentionally.

If you ask nicely and give us the necessary failure info I'm sure we can
tell you what you need to tweak to make it work again.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child