XO-1 cpu temperature [Devel Digest, Vol 71, Issue 43]

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Jan 23 16:20:46 EST 2012

> If you ask nicely and give us the necessary failure info I'm sure
> we can tell you what you need to tweak to make it work again.

The problem is that earlier versions had a separate partition on the
built-in nand where the olpc.fth script (used by OFW) resided.  That
partition was defined by the running operating system as _block_ device
mmcblk1p1 (on raw device /dev/mmcblk1 - and was mounted (or could be
manually mounted) to /bootpart.

With 12.1.0 builds, the running system does NOT see any raw device
/dev/mmcblk1 (nor any block partition on that device).  It does see
several raw _character_ devices /dev/mtdx, but I don't know how to
access the corresponding partitions (assuming that's what they are).

One bypass would be to boot with an USB stick plugged in to the XO-1,
which provides a /boot directory with the appropriate olpc.fth in it.

Another bypass (which I haven't had time to explore) would be to boot
the XO-1 from an USB stick which has an older system version on it, then
update the XO-1 nand when mounted within THAT operating system.

[By the way, I have not found instructions on how to use the 'tree.
tar.lzma' file to fashion an XO bootable (self-contained) USB stick.]

----
Please (I'm trying to ask nicely!), can you all tell me what I need to
tweak to make "customizing the olpc.fth" (plus run 'rpm -U kernel...')
be effective on 12.1.0.  [ I know how to make them work on 11.3.0. ]

Thanks,  mikus