XO-1 cpu temperature [Devel Digest, Vol 71, Issue 43]

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Jan 23 13:56:11 EST 2012

> Although in some cases you can increase the clock frequency a bit
> and have it still function the system is designed to run at the
> specified frequency.  We didn't use parts that were rated for 1Ghz
> and then dial it down.  We used the highest speed parts that we
> could get in our cost range and designed for that operating frequency.

One data point:

Ever since I learned that Mavrothal operated his XO-1s in overclock
mode, I've been running all my XO-1s at 460 MHz.  [ I run the "heavy CPU
load" application 'Timidity' on my systems.  That extra 30 MHz
noticeably cuts down on the number of dropped notes. ]

In three years of running some twenty XO-1s always at 460 MHz (many of
those are powered-on 24/7), I have __NEVER__ had any one of them fail.

mikus

p.s.  I'm now having difficulty overclocking the XO-1 for 12.1.0, since
those builds "hide" <the 'device' which contains> the script used by OFW
to boot the XO-1 system.