XULRunner Version 1.9 Issue Reading Local Files With No Internet Connectivity

anthony at evolutionindesignz.com anthony at evolutionindesignz.com
Wed Jan 11 21:31:34 EST 2012

My understanding of characterizing a software problem is to see if
under the same conditions the observations are repeatable.

My observations are that calling the application from the default
installed XULRunner 1.9.1.9 and attempting to use the documented browser
object (https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XUL/browser#m-loadURI) to read
the localhost when the OLPC is disconnected from the network results in
odd behavior or failure to start up.

Using exactly the same code, but instead calling the application from
XULRunner version 8.0, the code works as expected, even when the
computer is disconnected from the network.

For the current version of the application, we will follow Chris Ball's
recommendation to bundle the application with XULRunner version 8.0.

Future versions of the application will have to be re-written using
WebKit.