XULRunner Version 1.9 Issue Reading Local Files With No Internet Connectivity

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:56:41 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM,  <anthony at evolutionindesignz.com> wrote:
> I am aware that the OLPC project is moving into Webkit for future projects.
> However, it is necessary to complete a current project on XULRunner.
>
> With the OLPC laptop disconnected from the Internet, I try to startup

Hi Anthony,

let's forget for a moment about xulrunner and webkit :-) now that you
tell us about your actual problem, maybe there's a simple answer.

 - if your content is static, try the "file" protocol. For example
"file:///home/olpc/" .

 - if your content is dynamic, and you need to run some kind of local
webserver, please look into the "wikipedia" activity codebase for
inspiration -- it starts a slighly customized browser, and at the same
time a python-based multithreaded webserver.

 - if your content is static, but you want to customize the webbrowser
behaviour slightly, you can still use the "wikipedia" activity as
inspiration, you just don't need the webserver, use the file://
protocol instead!

All of these options work flawlessly when offline.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions