Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 9 18:02:44 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 13:24 -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> > In our next build, we will be doing two things [1]:
> >
> >  1. enabling the patch
> >  2. disabling wake-on-LAN
>
> I would not do #2.

How would one disable waking up with multicast as suggested in
dlo#10856?

> > Living up to its name, wake-on-LAN keeps the XOs awake whenever a
> > network connection is active, even when you don't really need it to
>
> I think you are misunderstanding how WOL works. I can't get into this
> topic right now, and I can't find a good reference
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN does not really fit with
> what we do).
>

>From the log files and observations the screen never dims when connected
to any network.

> Powerd's code and README are perhaps a good read if you want to
> understand this topic.

I might be blind, but where is the README? I don't see it in the git
source.

> > erikos reckons that the patch won't do much [2]
>
> I agree that his patch is not enough, but I'm not convinced of his
> argument that it's almost useless... I think he is also
> misunderstanding some aspects of it :-)

Well, we're testing this combination, someone has to take the lead.
Without doing anything the XOs will never use the full potential of
power saving that maybe available.

Jerry