Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 13:24:55 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> In our next build, we will be doing two things [1]:
>
>  1. enabling the patch
>  2. disabling wake-on-LAN

I would not do #2.

> Living up to its name, wake-on-LAN keeps the XOs awake whenever a
> network connection is active, even when you don't really need it to

I think you are misunderstanding how WOL works. I can't get into this
topic right now, and I can't find a good reference
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN does not really fit with
what we do).

Powerd's code and README are perhaps a good read if you want to
understand this topic.

> erikos reckons that the patch won't do much [2]

I agree that his patch is not enough, but I'm not convinced of his
argument that it's almost useless... I think he is also
misunderstanding some aspects of it :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions