Will the XO-4 need nonfree firmware

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Dec 7 16:11:53 EST 2012

    Users can't get them unlocked where I know and the (volunteer)
    development community couldn't obtain development keys, but I'm not
    totally sure about that. My main information source is the
    olpc-uruguay mailing list and I can't affirm something like that
    without a stronger evidence. John might have them...

When I was in Uruguay and investigated this question, I concluded
that the users could get their machines unlocked but that most of them
were not asking the right people.

If there is clear evidence of GPL violation -- such as, "They said to
ask XYZ, we asked XYZ, and here's the response we got" -- the FSF
could take action.  Vague reports of GPL violations are as unhelpful
as vague bug reports as far as fixing things is concerned.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110