Firmware issu

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 08:30:16 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:21:33AM -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:42 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > > Q2F12 added support for automatic power down if lid is closed
> > > while at ok prompt, per ticket #11095, svn 2991.  If you have been
> > > using previous firmware, you may never have seen this message.
> > >
> > > It has been a feature of XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 already.
> > >
> > > On XO-1, the lid switch is wired to the CS5536 companion chip, as
> > > well as to the the embedded controller.  Open Firmware is reading
> > > from the GPIO pin array in the CS5536.  Hal observed a confused
> > > embedded controller or battery error may trigger this issue.
> > >
> > > Kevin, Robert, please remove the external power, and the main
> > > battery, wait ten seconds, then reinsert both, and see if the
> > > problem persists.
> >
> > Problem persists.
>
> Thanks.  That test excludes insanity of the embedded controller as a
> cause.
>
> > Just a reminder this lid message only appears upon entering firmware
> > after a reboot from linux.  Doesn't happen on entering "reboot" from
> > firmware or a cold start.
>
> Interesting, thanks.  It suggests the fault is in how Linux reboots,
> or that Linux has changed the embedded controller behaviour.

I believe you have something here.  Something is wrong with the Linux
reboots. Perhaps it isnt shutting down 'deep enough' before starting up
again anymore.  I have a theory that some of the other discussions about
date saving and the hwclock behaviour might also be related to what is
happening on a Linux reboot.  I cannot get the date change  to persist to
the hw clock on these XO 1.0s without explicitly issuing the hwclock
command before then doing an explicit shutdown on these machines.  A reboot
doesnt work.    I will increase the testing of this to other builds and
architectures on the other 'date' thread.

> When you say "cold start", do you mean removal of main battery and
> external power, or do you mean pressing the power button when the
> power LED is off?

Either.  I only ever see this spurious lid message when booting into
firmware fimmediately upon doing a restart or reboot from Linux on an XO-1
with 12.1.0 and Q2F12. Happens every time on every XO 1.

> > Noted one other "symptom": when I do the reboot from firmware, I do
> > hear a little 'click' as the battery LED flashes, I don't hear that
> > click on the reboot from Linux.  It occurs whether doing a restart
> > from the GUI on Linux or entering "reboot" from terminal.
>
> Not interesting, but thanks.  Neither the speakers nor the battery LED
> have any direct connection to the lid switch.

Again, not doing any lid-switch testing at all, just mentioning any
differences when rebooting into firmware from a linux reboot/restart.  This
is one other thing that is 'different' from a cold restart or a reboot
command from firmware.

> > > If it does, please get to the ok prompt, type lid-off and press
> > > enter (to stop the timer), then test the lid switch like this:
> > >
> > >             ok lid? . cr d# 500 ms many
> >
> > After rebooting from Linux seeing the symptom and entering lid-off
> > after entering the above command, saw
> >
> > fffffff
> > fffffff
> > fffffff
> > fffffff
> > .
> > .
> >

> > After rebooting from firmware, and not seeing the symprom, and
> > entering teh above command, saw
> > 0
> > 0
> > 0
> > 0
> >
> > At no time during this whole process was the lid ever closed.
>
> Thanks.  This suggests a pullup resistor is missing, or that the
> embedded controller is not managing the signal correctly.
>
> How many units are affected?

All XO 1's at 12.1.0 and firmware Q2F12/13

> How many units are unaffected?

Any XO 11.3.1 or earlier with Q2E45 or earlier do not exhibit this message

> If there are some unaffected units, please provide a unit serial
> number of an affected and unaffected unit, thanks.
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:49:55AM -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> > At the risk of too much info.  I have also noticed that the lid-off
> > message when entering firmware does not ever happen on the XO 1.5.
>

> Really?  It should!  If you close the lid or use a magnet.

Sorry, I was unclear, I dont see it on the XO 1.5 because I wasn't actually
testing the lid switch, I think it works fine.  :-)  I'm trying to explain
when I see the spurious lid switch message when entering firmware  - i.e.
it wouldnt actually be 'spurious' if I closed the lid or used a magnet.  I
do not see the spurious message on any install on the 1.5 when I do a Linux
reboot/restart, ever.

> > Consistently on all machines, whether I do a shut-down or a restart
> > from Linux the screen goes to text console, (last message ; dcon
> > freeze) then goes to the warning screen, then goes blank.
> >
> > Then on the 1.5 whether doing restart/reboot from Linux or doing a
> > shut-down, the power light blinks multiple times before strating up
> > again.
>
> The multiple power indicator blink is an intentional time it takes for
> the internal microSD or eMMC to reach a shutdown voltage.  It is not
> done on XO-1.
>
> > However, on the XO 1.0 when doing a shut-down, the power light
> > blinks before turning completely off, but when doing a Linux
> > restart, the power light does not blink at any point in the restart
> > process.
>
> Yes, I see that now, I have reproduced it.  #12068.

Thanks,

KG