Firmware issu

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 28 02:24:39 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:21:33AM -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:42 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Q2F12 added support for automatic power down if lid is closed
> > while at ok prompt, per ticket #11095, svn 2991.  If you have been
> > using previous firmware, you may never have seen this message.
> >
> > It has been a feature of XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 already.
> >
> > On XO-1, the lid switch is wired to the CS5536 companion chip, as
> > well as to the the embedded controller.  Open Firmware is reading
> > from the GPIO pin array in the CS5536.  Hal observed a confused
> > embedded controller or battery error may trigger this issue.
> >
> > Kevin, Robert, please remove the external power, and the main
> > battery, wait ten seconds, then reinsert both, and see if the
> > problem persists.
>
> Problem persists.

Thanks.  That test excludes insanity of the embedded controller as a
cause.

> Just a reminder this lid message only appears upon entering firmware
> after a reboot from linux.  Doesn't happen on entering "reboot" from
> firmware or a cold start.

Interesting, thanks.  It suggests the fault is in how Linux reboots,
or that Linux has changed the embedded controller behaviour.

When you say "cold start", do you mean removal of main battery and
external power, or do you mean pressing the power button when the
power LED is off?

> Noted one other "symptom": when I do the reboot from firmware, I do
> hear a little 'click' as the battery LED flashes, I don't hear that
> click on the reboot from Linux.  It occurs whether doing a restart
> from the GUI on Linux or entering "reboot" from terminal.

Not interesting, but thanks.  Neither the speakers nor the battery LED
have any direct connection to the lid switch.

> > If it does, please get to the ok prompt, type lid-off and press
> > enter (to stop the timer), then test the lid switch like this:
> >
> >             ok lid? . cr d# 500 ms many
>
> After rebooting from Linux seeing the symptom and entering lid-off
> after entering the above command, saw
>
> fffffff
> fffffff
> fffffff
> fffffff
> .
> .
>

> After rebooting from firmware, and not seeing the symprom, and
> entering teh above command, saw
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
>
> At no time during this whole process was the lid ever closed.

Thanks.  This suggests a pullup resistor is missing, or that the
embedded controller is not managing the signal correctly.

How many units are affected?

How many units are unaffected?

If there are some unaffected units, please provide a unit serial
number of an affected and unaffected unit, thanks.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:49:55AM -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> At the risk of too much info.  I have also noticed that the lid-off
> message when entering firmware does not ever happen on the XO 1.5.

Really?  It should!  If you close the lid or use a magnet.

> Consistently on all machines, whether I do a shut-down or a restart
> from Linux the screen goes to text console, (last message ; dcon
> freeze) then goes to the warning screen, then goes blank.
>
> Then on the 1.5 whether doing restart/reboot from Linux or doing a
> shut-down, the power light blinks multiple times before strating up
> again.

The multiple power indicator blink is an intentional time it takes for
the internal microSD or eMMC to reach a shutdown voltage.  It is not
done on XO-1.

> However, on the XO 1.0 when doing a shut-down, the power light
> blinks before turning completely off, but when doing a Linux
> restart, the power light does not blink at any point in the restart
> process.

Yes, I see that now, I have reproduced it.  #12068.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/