Firmware issu

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 08:49:55 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:42 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> Q2F12 added support for automatic power down if lid is closed while at
>> ok prompt, per ticket #11095, svn 2991.  If you have been using
>> previous firmware, you may never have seen this message.
>>
>> It has been a feature of XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 already.
>>
>> On XO-1, the lid switch is wired to the CS5536 companion chip, as well
>> as to the the embedded controller.  Open Firmware is reading from the
>> GPIO pin array in the CS5536.  Hal observed a confused embedded
>> controller or battery error may trigger this issue.
>>
>> Kevin, Robert, please remove the external power, and the main battery,
>> wait ten seconds, then reinsert both, and see if the problem persists.
>>

> Problem persists.
>
> Just a reminder this lid message only appears upon entering firmware after
> a reboot from linux.  Doesn't happen on entering "reboot" from firmware or
> a cold start.  Noted one other "symptom": when I do the reboot from
> firmware, I do hear a little 'click' as the battery LED flashes, I don't
> hear that click on the reboot from Linux.  It occurs whether doing a
> restart from the GUI on Linux or entering "reboot" from terminal.
>

>> If it does, please get to the ok prompt, type lid-off and press enter
>> (to stop the timer), then test the lid switch like this:
>>
>>         ok lid? . cr d# 500 ms many
>>

> After rebooting from Linux seeing the symptom and entering lid-off after
> entering the above command, saw
>
> fffffff
> fffffff
> fffffff
> fffffff
> .
> .
>

> After rebooting from firmware, and not seeing the symprom, and entering
> teh above command, saw
> >0
> 0
> 0
> 0
>
> At no time during this whole process was the lid ever closed.
>

>> This will print ffffffff when the lid switch is considered closed, and
>> 0 when the lid switch is considered open.
>>
>> Waving a magnet against the front bezel above the microphone is a
>> useful way to test the switch without having to close the laptop.  The
>> switch works best with the north and south poles of the magnet
>> pointing left-right or right-left.  You'll soon learn which way works;
>> I don't have a labelled test magnet here, I just know it works only
>> one way.
>>

> I'll search for a magnet; dont have one at my desk.

At the risk of too much info.  I have also noticed that the lid-off message
when entering firmware does not ever happen on the XO 1.5.

Consistently on all machines, whether I do a shut-down or a restart from
Linux the screen goes to text console, (last message ; dcon freeze) then
goes to the warning screen, then goes blank.

Then on the 1.5 whether doing restart/reboot from Linux or doing a
shut-down, the power light blinks multiple times before strating up again.

However, on the XO 1.0 when doing a shut-down, the power light blinks
before turning completely off, but when doing a Linux restart, the power
light does not blink at any point in the restart process.

KG