Firmware issu

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 08:21:33 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:42 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Q2F12 added support for automatic power down if lid is closed while at
> ok prompt, per ticket #11095, svn 2991.  If you have been using
> previous firmware, you may never have seen this message.
>
> It has been a feature of XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 already.
>
> On XO-1, the lid switch is wired to the CS5536 companion chip, as well
> as to the the embedded controller.  Open Firmware is reading from the
> GPIO pin array in the CS5536.  Hal observed a confused embedded
> controller or battery error may trigger this issue.
>
> Kevin, Robert, please remove the external power, and the main battery,
> wait ten seconds, then reinsert both, and see if the problem persists.

Problem persists.

Just a reminder this lid message only appears upon entering firmware after
a reboot from linux.  Doesn't happen on entering "reboot" from firmware or
a cold start.  Noted one other "symptom": when I do the reboot from
firmware, I do hear a little 'click' as the battery LED flashes, I don't
hear that click on the reboot from Linux.  It occurs whether doing a
restart from the GUI on Linux or entering "reboot" from terminal.

> If it does, please get to the ok prompt, type lid-off and press enter
> (to stop the timer), then test the lid switch like this:
>
>         ok lid? . cr d# 500 ms many

After rebooting from Linux seeing the symptom and entering lid-off after
entering the above command, saw

fffffff
fffffff
fffffff
fffffff
.
.

After rebooting from firmware, and not seeing the symprom, and entering teh
above command, saw
>0
0
0
0

At no time during this whole process was the lid ever closed.

> This will print ffffffff when the lid switch is considered closed, and
> 0 when the lid switch is considered open.
>
> Waving a magnet against the front bezel above the microphone is a
> useful way to test the switch without having to close the laptop.  The
> switch works best with the north and south poles of the magnet
> pointing left-right or right-left.  You'll soon learn which way works;
> I don't have a labelled test magnet here, I just know it works only
> one way.

I'll search for a magnet; dont have one at my desk.

Cheers

KG