OLPC testing summary Auckland 18 August 2012

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Aug 18 01:22:57 EDT 2012

OLPC testing summary Auckland 18 August 2012
Who: Fabiana, John, Tabitha, Tom

Today we tested XO-1s build 860 Sugar 0.84.31 with a bunch of
customizations for NZ teacher training and XO-1.5s on 12.1.0 build 20.

Tux, XO-1, build 860 + customisations:
Touchpad drove me crazy during the following list of tests; no
collaboration testing done today except for chat and distance.
By default set to UTC time, need to go into settings and change to
Pacific/Auckland time and restart.
Switch to gnome and back to Sugar works.
Maze works
Speak main speak part works but not robot
Record took a photo, low quality video, audio - all viewable/playable
Paint tested most functions, all working
Musicpainter works
Moon works
Implode works
Memorize played all preloaded games with all sizes, worked, created a
text game and played it
Read opens but had nothing to read
Write works
Turtleart basic test works
Scratch basic test works
Tamtam mini tried a few options, all worked
Tamtam edit basic test works
Tamtam jam works
Tamtam synthlab basic test works
Jukebox works
Help works
Measure basic test works
Image viewer works
Log works
Etoys tutorial works
Calculate basic test worked
Pippy tried a few options, all played
Browse works, connected to local wireless network and browsed net as
well as trying some of the links on the homepage
Distance on local wireless network worked with Anna, looks pretty
accurate distance calculation
Chat worked with Anna on local wireless network

Anna, XO-1, build 860 + customisations:
Memorise 3 grids ok - created game ok

Record pix ok. Timer seems to work ok. Video low res 2 min ok, playback
ok. Video hi not available - on  the icon there is an arrow suggesting
it will bring up a drop down menu but there does not appear to be one.

Measure: starts ok - there is a single channel active, but refresh is
such that one sees two overlapping waves - this could be confusing. Gain
and time controls appear to work ok. V(t) and FFT seem to be ok. Capture
every 30 sec seems ok - trigger does not seem to work. Tab that displays
the trace is named ‘sound’ - which is kind of true when it is capturing
from a microphone, but it is really voltage and distinguishing this
might be important if one is to bring a signal in from a different
source through the microphone input.

Paint: Slow! Became frustrated and moved

Ivy, XO-1.5, 12.1.0 build 20:
Write, Wikipedia EN, Record, Tamtam mini, Browse, Getbooks and Read.
Quality of photos quite good regardless of low or high quality. Tamtam
Synthlab works and is really good.

We didn't see any video anomalies in this build.

Rosella, XO-1.5, 12.1.0 build 20:
The very small text on this laptop is now fixed!