11.3.0 can have difficulties with wired ethernet adapter

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Oct 31 13:03:06 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have mechanisms that rename the wifi interface to eth0.  The
> problem is that the usb ethernet comes of first and is given eth0
> which causes udev to thrash when wifi is brought up and it tries to
> rename it.  I think it usually ends up naming the device wlan-eth0 or
> something like that.

When I implemented this wifi rename, I checked the udev code and found
that it checked all rules file for something that might claim the
persistent name being generated, and if so, it would not use that name
for persistent rules and instead moved to 'eth1' - and I tested this
thoroughly (this was back in Fedora 11). Perhaps this behaviour has
changed, I'll try your reproduction steps.

Thanks
Daniel