11.3.0 can have difficulties with wired ethernet adapter

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:59:16 EDT 2011

> Can you explain how we can reproduce this? At which point do you
> connect the ethernet adapter?
>
> We already have a mechanism in place that should reserve eth0 for the
> internal wifi card, so this is unexpected.

We have mechanisms that rename the wifi interface to eth0.  The
problem is that the usb ethernet comes of first and is given eth0
which causes udev to thrash when wifi is brought up and it tries to
rename it.  I think it usually ends up naming the device wlan-eth0 or
something like that.

The steps are easy.  Flash a new image onto a device, or remove
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.  Then reboot with wlan
enabled and a usb-ethernet device plugged in.  You may have to hard
power off the machine so udev doesn't create a new persistent file on
shutdown, can't remember exactly.

You can of course also fix this condition by going in and manually
editing the persistent net rules to make the wifi card get eth0 and
the usb device get eth1.

-Jon