11.3.0 can have difficulties with wired ethernet adapter

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Oct 31 16:00:32 EDT 2011

Re:  eth0 assigned to ethernet
> Can you explain how we can reproduce this? At which point do you
> connect the ethernet adapter?

My setup has (before I power up the XO) its own USB hub plugged in to
that XO, with keyboard and mouse plugged in to the hub.  I perform a
"non-pretty" boot.  I encountered this problem when I happened to insert
the adapter into the XO-1.5 socket as the boot-process information lines
were scrolling by on the (dark background) screen.

I must have accidentally inserted the ethernet-USB adapter at exactly
the right instant to produce the interface-assignment mixup.  I tried to
reproduce the problem using an XO-1 (os883, Q2e48.rom) but could not --
if I inserted the adapter AFTER the lines for the USB hub scrolled by,
the ethernet was correctly assigned to 'eth1'.  If I inserted the
adapter just a bit earlier, the booting process hung (tail end of a
trace showing - I suspect from a program check in the pegasus code - but
the initial lines of the trace had already scrolled off the screen).

mikus