After 11.3.0, 11.3.1 - notes

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:36:26 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:

> The 11.3.0 cycle is coming to a close. Hopefully without distracting
> too much from it, I wanted to circulate some brief notes on what
> follows.
>
> The steering goals for 11.3.0 have been to have a good quality release
> for deployments using XO-1 and XO-1.5, and a known-stable stack to
> serve as scaffolding to the XO-1.75 efforts. We haven't finished
> 11.3.0 yet but I think there is ample evidence that it is working.
>
> On the XO-1.75 front, we are clearly a little further from finished --
> our release candidates for XO-1.75 aren't really. But that's natural
> with software changes riding on top of hardware changes.
>
> So our plan is to release 11.3.0 as planned; and open a second
> deep-freeze bugfix window that will lead to 11.3.1 . During this
> period we will accept
>
>  - XO-1.75 platform improvements -- namely drivers and kernel fixes.
>
>  - High importance regression bugs elsewhere in the stack, only after
> careful triaging. After the 11.3.0 cycle, we don't expect any here.
>
> The timeframe for this bugfix window is still unclear.

Query:

Some of the 11.2.0 targeted languages (presumably the same in 11.3.0) are
still a good way from completion.  I would like to know if I should press
for L10n of those specifically, as there is a reasonable chance we could
pick up some coverage if the L10n whip is wielded judiciously.

L10n commits will need to be checked for build-breakers (printf and terminal
newlines are the common culprits), but otherwise is not generally going to
introduce unexpected issues.

cjl

[1]
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2011-February/031016.html