new OLPC slackware 13.37 released (fwd)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon May 23 03:11:26 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 09:59:58AM +0700, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
> 1. download OLPC_Slackware13.37 at
> http://e-university.eu.org/OLPC/olpc_slak13.37.tar.bz2

This boots only one kernel on an OLPC XO, 2.6.36-rc2.  Is it for XO-1 or
XO-1.5?  On Tiny Core Linux and Ubuntu builds I use two kernels with
olpc.fth code to detect hardware.

Where's the source for your kernel?

Your olpc.fth does not contain "visible", so I'm curious to know if
you've tested it with recent firmware.  What firmware did you test with?

> 2. mount /dev/sdb1 /usb (assume you have only 1 HD)
> 3. tar xjvf olpc_slak13.37.tar.bz2  -C /

This requires a filesystem like ext2 or ext3?

> 4. boot OLPC using your new USB
> 5. modify /etc/lilo.conf to fit your config
> 6. lilo
> 7. wait 5 minutes
> 8. /etc/rc.d/rc.local (for unknown reason wlan0 will wake up after 5 minutes
> wait)
> 9. the same USB now can be bootted on any pc

That's interesting.  You have a conventional PC kernel in /slak13 with
an initrd /sdb1.gz, and the OLPC kernel in /boot/ ... a PC will use the
MBR set up by lilo, and an OLPC will use /boot/olpc.fth.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/