[Localization] Fwd: Updated 11.2.0 schedule

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sun May 22 21:02:48 EDT 2011

I was writing a detailed reply, but Martin beat me to the Send button.

Just to clarify a few points (which I think you may have been asking):

   - The two main organizations within OLPC each have a test/QA engineer
   helping them.  James Cameron tends to focus more on the low-level hardware;
   I tend to focus more on the higher-level software.  Beyond that there is a
   testing at lists.laptop.org mailing list, and a volunteer test group in New
   Zealand as well as other groups/individuals that casually test and provide
   feedback as well.

   When possible, we do try to support upstream test efforts, and file bugs
   upstream when appropriate.  But I do not currently work on testing Sugar for
   non-related distributions like Ubuntu, although I do have one 10.04 LTS
   system with Sugar running in it.

   - If you are looking for a formal test case management system which can
   be used to store test cases, view things not yet done, and assign tasks,
   OLPC currently does not have one.  Various groups & people have proposed
   setting up these for OLPC, and some have used them amongst themselves.
   There is a crude TCMS within OLPC's wiki that can log results and show you
   that log, but I tend to avoid it due to its habit of caching stale results
   and personal frustration.

   One recent idea has been to try Fedora's Nitrate TCMS when that goes
   online, and ask them to support OLPC builds for test case plans in addition
   to Fedora versions.  But a preview version of that system is not available
   yet.

   - We do have a large number of test cases and a crude system within the
   Wiki, but they mostly have not been updated since 2008.  But I have tagged
   test cases in this system that I feel are still relevant for 11.2.x, and
   added a few new ones.

   In addition to these tests I keep a personal spreadsheet of general focus
   categories (clean start/stop, save/restore, collaboration, etc.) I would
   like to test with each activity as well as for the base system, and note
   with which build/activity/platform I last ran that task.  It's not perfect,
   but it saves me writing test cases for 40+ activities that only vary
   slightly in many ways.

   - There is a "1 hour" build verification/smoke test for 11.2.0 at
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Smoke_test/11.2.x/1_hour_smoke_test .  It is
   getting somewhat lengthy though since I was asked to include verification of
   all high-priority activities that kids commonly use.

   - For 11.2.0, I have gone through every activity on the XO-1 and XO-1.5
   and tested basic single-user functionally for all of them that worked at the
   time.  I am hoping that the collaboration stack gets reasonably stable soon
   so that multi-user functionality can be tested as well.

   The other main area I would like to check this time around is mime
   types.  Some activities tend to claim they can handle things like audio
   files, but are not well equipped to handle them if actually given to open,
   as they were only expecting to embed them into something else, etc.  There
   may also be some activities which should claim functionality that they
   don't, and some defaults applications for mime types that are undefined.

   - In general though I agree we need a better way to split the load if
   other formal test volunteers are available.  In addition to 11.2.0, I am
   often asked to look at the XO-1.75, new potential motherboard or firmware
   revisions before they are mass produced, or anything interesting thing of
   the moment (currently "How much of a speedup and/or RAM benefit do we really
   get by prelinking?").

   I would be open to hearing any ideas you may have as well.

---
SJG