Discovering the XOs local timezone in a bash script

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-2 at
Sun Mar 13 09:24:54 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Paul Fox's message of Sun Mar 13 13:04:30 +0100 2011:

>  > Can you point me at that old code, please? (we currently use gconf [1],
>  > so Sugar is decoupled from the rest of the system w.r.t. time zone).

> do you know why this is/was done?  is it simply a matter of not
> wanting the sugar user to do root-like things?

All the history I could find was that using gconf for storing the time
zone was introduced in "Use gconf for the profile" [1] and the control
panel section that used the profile to modify the time zone was added in
"Landed the graphical frontend for the control panel" [2]. The
corresponding profile code is in "Add control panel items to profile" [3].
There was no indication of Sugar setting the system-wide time zone.

> p.s.  either my mailer did something very odd, or your message had a
> surprising set of addressees.  intentional?
>  cc: C.Scott at, Ananian <cscott at>,
>      A.Smith at,
>      OLPC Devel <devel at>,
>      Richard at, richard at

Thanks for the heads-up. With every "new" MUA I seem to hit the same
issue of real names containing periods (".") [4,5] again. According to
the RFC822 / RFC2822 / RFC5322 rules these need to be quoted (periods
are not part of the "atom" production rule). Some MUAs don't quote them
and some MTAs (most notably nullmailer) start a new list component when
they hit an unquoted period in the display-name part of the mailbox-list
production rule. :-/