Discovering the XOs local timezone in a bash script

Paul Fox pgf at
Sun Mar 13 08:04:30 EDT 2011

sascha wrote:
 > Excerpts from C. Scott Ananian's message of Sun Mar 13 04:06:56 +0100 2011:
 > > Last I knew we used standard Linux conventions for timezones and sugar
 > > called the standard Linux commands (via sudo) to set the timezone.
 > Can you point me at that old code, please? (we currently use gconf [1],
 > so Sugar is decoupled from the rest of the system w.r.t. time zone).

do you know why this is/was done?  is it simply a matter of not
wanting the sugar user to do root-like things?

p.s.  either my mailer did something very odd, or your message had a
surprising set of addressees.  intentional?
 cc: C.Scott at, Ananian <cscott at>,
     A.Smith at,
     OLPC Devel <devel at>,
     Richard at, richard at