Discovering the XOs local timezone in a bash script

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sat Mar 12 22:21:47 EST 2011

The XO image OLPC supplies defaults to UTC.   Users can select a time
zone offset in Sugar if they want, but it is purely a numerical control
at last check and does not allow you to choose a setting that is
regional (like "America/New York" or "EST5EDT", which include Daylight
Savings support).

Sugar reports only relative times in its core GUI, so I don't know how
common it is for deployments or other users to actually change this
setting.  Setting a time zone other than UTC with 10.1.3 and prior may
also expose a flaw where the offset is repetitively applied every
reboot, shifting the clock.

Perhaps proper time zone support (with the optional frame clock some
deployments like) could be part of the 11.2.0 release if there is a good
reason to include it.  But that's a design discussion for the
Sugar-devel list, as I don't quite know why Sugar avoids showing actual
times in the first place.

If we decide to include a Calendar app in 11.2.0 that might also be good
justification for making time zone support easier to use.

---
SJG