Content Proposal, Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 09:01:12 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Do you have a list of languages with PDF versions?

My suggestion is to download the .xol, manually change extension to
.zip, unzip it, look in the /files directory, and then sort by
filetype to discover PDF versions,  I'm not saying I won't do that for
you, but if you do it, you're in a position to make the replacements
with HTML yourself, then rezip, change extension back to .xol and
overwrite the existing .xol file on the wiki.   I trust you, and I
have a back-up :-)

> These languages do not have a html version in the unicode.org site?

Did not get around to checking if more PDF > HTML exchanges were
possible,  It could squeeze a few more KB out of the size.  The big
wins in size reduction (MB at a clip) came from the OGG resampling.

> Also, in a random testing I found the Guarayo page is empty, may be is my
> fault, or did not have HTML version.

I'll take a look.  Or you can when you've done the above.  The HTML of
the index page is very simple and easy to update as needed.  The only
trick is if you add or delete items in the table, you'll need to
readjust the table mark-up  to appear after every third entry.  The
repeating pattern should be visible enough in the HTML by noticing the
extra whitespace to the right wherever the row wrapping occurs.

> At last, for me would be best if the european languages apeear in the same
> table than the other languages.

I think I understand your thoughts here.  I felt that in many cases
the European languages represented the 'lingua franca" that justified
placing them at the top of the file, to make them more discoverable,
but I might be persuaded by arguments to treat all languages equally.
If you as suggesting adding them a second time in the table below, I
would have no objection.

> And may be where we have a sound version, include the player in the same
> page with the text.
> In this way you can hear and read the text at the same time.

I like that idea.

cjl