[Testing] [support-gang] Lost Communication in 10.1.3?

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sun Feb 6 13:22:09 EST 2011

The XO-1 will only see Ad-hoc XO-1.5 networks which currently have XOs
connected to them.  It will not show all three Mayan icons unless there
is an XO-1.5 or other computers creating three Ad-hoc networks, one with
each of the desired names.

You will have to manually connect the XO-1 to an Ad-hoc network; it will
not automatically do so.

Unless you told them otherwise, by default all the XO-1.5s likely
decided to use Ad-hoc channel 1 if they did not see a preferred access
point, so you should go looking on the 10.1.3 XO-1 for a filled color
circle with a single dot in it.  If the XO-1.5s were near an access
point they were taught about, they may have connected to that instead.
The ad-hoc networks on the XO-1 with 10.1.3 will look like the
filled-color (active) networks on the XO-1.5 using the XO-1 user's
colors to indicate that someone is listening on the channel.

It may take up to 30 or 60 seconds(?) from the time that an XO-1.5
created the Ad-hoc network to the point that an XO-1 will decide to
rescan to see what networks are out there.  I'm hoping there are no
restrictions on rescanning once an XO-1 decides to connect to a Mesh
network.

Admittedly the graphic
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Adhoc_network_XO-1.png (available from
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Ad_hoc_Networking) is someone
confusing, since the XO-1 in that screenshot actually is connected {has
parenthesis} to a network which is neither the Ad-hoc network spotted
(on channel 11 - a dot and two lines) nor the Mesh ones.