[OLPC Engineering] [Techteam] New F14-arm build os21

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Wed Dec 21 19:32:08 EST 2011

On 22 December 2011 11:23, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
>> It's a recognition that no software is bug-free, and that users
>> (especially children) will always find a way to make a system
>> difficult to use. For example, children often load activities without
>> closing previous ones. We can educate them to not do this, but it
>> still happens on occasion.
>
> That's exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks. That's a UI bug
> in Sugar. I would strongly prefer the Sugar environment to behave more
> like Android, where any app/activity that is in the bg may get an
> instruction from the shell / OS to cleanup and exit.

Good that we're on the same wavelength - I had a similar thought!

The annoying thing about Android, however, is that for an app to
continue to work in the background it needs to be coded in that way. I
suppose that if we were to treat Sugar as an 'appliance' UI (which is
how I tend to think about it), this isn't such a bad idea.

A quick hack would be to limit the number of activities that can run
simultaneously.

Our next OS will likely have the Dextrose resource monitor [1]. I
don't think we should be expecting children to be managing their
system resources, though. It should 'just work'.

> Do you have any other end-user use cases that have Ctrl-Alt-Erase as a
> solution?

I'll check with our education team and get back to you. This is a very
valuable discussion to have!

Sridhar

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Dextrose_resource_monitoring.png