cpia driver for microscope: any success?

Aaron Borden adborden at live.com
Mon Apr 18 10:25:17 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 18:15 -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Mar 06 2011, Cherry Withers wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I'm starting to figure out that because the Intel QX3 microscope has an
> > CPiA chipset, it may not be supported by
> > cheese (which takes V4L/V2L devices) but needs a special cpia driver that
> > can be found in:
> > http://webcam.sourceforge.net/
>
> This is outdated information (site last updated in 2003!).  The drivers
> have been merged into the main Linux kernel now; it looks like you just
> need to turn on CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_CPIA1=m and build gspca_cpia1.ko from
> drivers/media/video/gspca/cpia1.c.
>
> Since our kernels already have CONFIG_USB_GSPCA=m, you can build this
> module without having to recompile your current kernel.

Thanks Chris,

I'm helping Cherry, getting this driver compiled. She's using a 2.6.31
kernel (the 10.1.3 build I think) which doesn't have the gspca_cpia1
driver.

I looked into back-porting the driver to 2.6.31, there's only a handful
of compile errors but it still might be more work than it's worth.

I did a quick trial with the v4l1 cpia driver and it works with
gstreamer, so it's just a matter of getting cheese to detect it. My
initial investigation leads me to believe that cheese uses HAL to detect
v4l capable devices and the QX3 isn't showing up as v4l capable, so I'll
look into this a bit more.

Any other ideas are welcome :)

-Aaron