The next four weeks

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Tue Apr 5 08:23:17 EDT 2011

Hi Scott!

The IAEP thread if I am not mistaken is this:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-February/012522.html

When last time I proposed similar things on the mailing list all I have
got were:
1. Do not tell others what to do!
2. CADT
3. I want others to drop all sugar code now!
4. People unsubscribed from the list because of me. (At least it was a
good excuse I guess...)
So congratulations, you have *way* better communication skills that I
will ever have, your thread was fascinating to read.

In the meantime I personally changed my preferences regarding this Sugar
"rewrite" on Android, and now I see how stupid was I. The problem is
that there is no need to "rewrite" stuff on Android when there is a much
more easier, cross-platform thing exists and it is HTML5!!! (I have even
tested chrome's speed on an XO-1 and it is totally acceptable.)
When I skimmed over the activities in the Sugar Activity Store :) I
realized that there are not too many of them. Most of the activities
fall into the following 3 categories:
1. Small activities which can be easily rewritten.
2. Big activities which are ported to Sugar (etoys, scratch, write).
3. GCompris. A lot of them.
4. It can be that Uruguay and Peru created a lot of stuff I do not know
about and I am stupid.
So I clearly cannot see the need for invisible perfect compatibility
because 2-3 are already ports so they must be ported anyway, and 1. does
not contain that much activities to warrant such amount of work in my
opinion. But you know, I will not tell you what (not) to do... ;)

What you do not seem to take into consideration are these:
1. Activities should move to a per activity storage model (like Android
does) otherwise your compatibility layer will not work too well.
2. The Sugar HIG will result in pathetic touch controlled applications,
even if  the problems can be fixed by the excellent suggestions of Gary
C Martin (here:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-February/012556.html).
Okay, actually I think that you totally understand 2. so I just do not
get what your point with invisible compatibility is...

Good luck anyway,
NoiseEHC

BTW, in the next 4 weeks I will rewrite Sugar to HTML5... :)