#10363 NORM 10.1.3: Auto-Suspend gets in the way when sharing over Salut

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Sep 16 13:52:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 19:06, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 05:05 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> So the problem is that if you had to resync all state for each machine
>> every time they wake up, you would use lots of bandwidth with the
>> power consumption associated, so much that it may not have been worth
>> sleeping.
>
> Hmmm... /me has questions about this.  Care to give me your breakdown of
> what power you think you are using?
>
> Going in to suspend saves approx 3-4 Watts.  Even if you only suspended
> for 1 second generating enough WLAN traffic to use 3-4 watts _above_
> what you are already using for idle.  I'm not sure that is what would
> happen.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the case when a laptop
wakes up and gets its collaboration state from a server, but to the
server-less case in which getting that state means querying all other
accessible nodes, thus waking them up.

The effect of a single laptop coming out from suspend would mean
reducing the total time that the network is sleeping, and the more
laptops in the network, the less time they can sleep and the more
often they have to update their whole state.

If we let the other laptops sleep, then from the optic of the user the
representation of the network is probably equally confusing as it is
now.

Frankly, I think I'm a newcomer to this discussion so it's quite
probable that I'm missing something. I would though leave Salut out
from this for now and focus on how mDNS could work in this
semi-connected use case.

Just for the sake of looking at what others have done in a similar
situation, Apple implemented Sleep Proxies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Proxy_Service But seems to have
been dropped from the last IETF draft.

Regards,

Tomeu