#10363 NORM 10.1.3: Auto-Suspend gets in the way when sharing over Salut

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Sep 16 13:15:37 EDT 2010

On 16 September 2010 10:05, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>>  Is there any workaround we can apply -- seems like Salut or the much
>>  maligned Presence Service has some regular event that re-syncs the nodes,
>>  can we make it more often? (Sam suggested this earlier though I didn't
>>  understand what he meant initially.)
>>
>>  Maybe Tomeu can give us a hint on whether such an event exists and what it
>>  is called so we can tune it? He'll have info on whether ths is likely to
>>  be an issue on 0.90 or not...
>
> Bringing this to devel at l.o where we are already discussing this issue.
>
> So the problem is that if you had to resync all state for each machine
> every time they wake up, you would use lots of bandwidth

And it's not even that simple.

Lets say that machines A and B (of owners A and B) want to
collaborate, and they are using salut / multicast.

Both machines are asleep.

Laptop A is woken up as the user starts an activity and shares it. In
person, the owner A tells owner B that the activity is now shared.

Laptop A goes to sleep.

Laptop B is woken up as the user presses the neighborhood view button.
Laptop B broadcasts its state and asks for a resync of other nodes
(under the above questionable idea). Laptop A does not respond because
it is asleep.

Owner B goes over to owner A and says "hey, I don't see it". Owner A
says "OK, I'll try again", and stops and starts a new activity and
shares it on laptop A.

Laptop B goes to sleep during the above.

Laptop A goes to sleep soon after sharing the activity.

Owner of B goes back to laptop B, which is asleep while showing the
neighborhood view. "Hey, I still can't see it"

etc.